Friday, January 1, 2016

Flying to Sedona:

You should know one thing about me, above anything else. I am afraid of heights. 
Yes, I, BARB, Wing Woman, girl who wanted more than anything to be a pilot when I was growing up, am afraid of heights. It is, quite honestly, my biggest fear, Ever.
I don't usually have a problem flying in airplanes, until turbulence is hit and then I am acutely aware how far we are off the ground.

So I decided to go for a ride in a Skyhawk II. Twice. 

Back seat, safe and sound, two Viper Drivers in the front, if something goes wrong, I am definitely safe.


Still in the back seat. Still safe.

Sedona! We flew into the airport and had delicious brunch. If you ever find yourself at that airport, eat, the, brunch.

This is where things get interesting.
I am obviously not in the back seat anymore.

If you are reading my blog, chances are, you know a little about air planes. Which means you also know two things. One, GA (general aviation) planes like this one, are small, which makes bumps seem big. Two, heat = bumpier air. If you did not already know those things, you do now,
We headed back in the afternoon, when it was heating up. It was bumpy. I was acutely aware of how far we were off the ground, and was breaking my husbands hand in the back seat. Still IT (the owner of that arm you see) let me attempt to fly. For about ten seconds before I had a heart attack.

Still, after that trip, I decided I wanted to go again for my birthday, and learn a little more. I freaking love air planes, so I will not be swayed.
I got to take off from the Glendale Airport, and it was the best day of my life (at the time, now its the third best.) I even got to fly some more. See:

There is a video of my take off, eventually I will post it, it's great.

However, soon my massive fear of heights kicked in, and I was done. IT got me to fly a few more times, briefly, but after a bit of a rough landing going into to Sedona, I had my fill.

It is safe to say I was not made to be a pilot, so my childhood dreams were probably right not to come true, but I love being up in the air, even if this post sort of makes it sound like I don't. I hope one day C and I own a plane. I love being in the sky and I hope I get to push myself a little farther.

Fly to Sedona, if you get the chance, eat brunch at the air port, it is a once (or twice) in a lifetime experience.


No comments:

Post a Comment